Saturday

Garbage Truck Halloween Costume

Here is a link to a great post about how to make a garbage truck costume for Halloween. We did this for our son in 2008 and he loved it. The only problem was that the costume got heavy and he wanted to take it off after about an hour. Also, people love this thing. Some motorheads at one house went crazy. I think they wanted to steal it.

In case the link is dead, I am copying the post below:

Here are some pictures of Matt's Garbageman costume from last year. Below I've included some instructions on making it yourself. Enjoy!



Some of the things you'll need:
cardboard (big sheets are good, but if you have smaller boxes lying
around you can always duct tape pieces together)
Duct tape
masking tape
glue gun
carpet knife
2 cans of green (or whatever color your trucks are) spraypaint
2 nylon straps about 2 1/2 feet long each
some cotton batting
yardstick/straight edge
assorted craft paint or acrylics for the details
patience (and maybe some band-aids)

Click on an image to make it bigger.



Now that I'm looking at the page below again, I think you'll probably be better off scoring the 3 1/2" marks on the far right and left of the big sheet on the opposite side of the cardboard, since the folds are going to be going in the other direction. Sorry about that.






And here's Mr First Prize Garbageboy at last year's Halloween party at the Park District. You wore it well, lil' dude!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is fantastic! Thanks for the idea -- I'm about to put this together for my son. (With a yellow and blue colour scheme to match the trucks here in Toronto!) One note though, your measurements for the box that gets the straps attached seem a bit off. The overall length is shown as 25", but when you add up all the sections it comes to 35".

    Thanks again for the great idea. If it all works out I'll post some pics so you can see your ingenuity at work a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I have beeen looking everywhere and searching endlessly trying to find ANY truck pattern with no luck til I found this post! THANK YOU! I knew buying a truck costume was going to be next to impossible and figured I would need plenty of time to make one for Halloween. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! My 2 & 1/2 yaer old son ONLY wants to be a truck for Halloweeen so a truck it is!

    ReplyDelete